Thursday, May 13, 2010

learning to wait.


*Patience can't be acquired overnight. It is just like building up a muscle.
Every day you need to work on it.
- Eknath Easwaran

*The strongest of all warriors are these two: Time and Patience.
– Leo Tolstoi

*To lose patience is to lose the battle.
- Mahatma Gandhi


Patience. we all lack it. we all get frustrated over it. and yet we all desire to be more patient, especially in the everyday simple things of life. God has been teaching me lately that I need to rely on Him more and trust his timing and have PATIENCE.

The everyday things in life are so easy to get caught up in; things like driving, working, homework, friends and family are all things we experience daily. A few years ago I was convicted to have more patience while driving on the road. I get really aggressive while I drive and get easily frustrated with people who go slow or get in the way. God has been faithful to rein me back in and to realize that in such an insignificant thing, I still need to have patience.

Little lessons like this have helped me get to where I am today. Right now I am having to learn a big lesson by leaning on God and trusting for His perfect timing. I am deeply wanting something right now, but know that the Lord has a better plan. Everyday is a struggle to have more patience and have to learn that I can't force what I want to happen, because it won't work. God is faithful, though, and even through this lesson I am seeing the benefits of waiting on Him.

Instead of being frustrated, annoyed or angry that I can't have what I want right now, I have chosen to rejoice in what I do have and rejoice in knowing that what is to come is going to be so blessed. 1 Thessalonians 5:16&18 says "be joyful always...give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." I am so thankful for what the Lord is working out right now and have decided that despite how hard it is to wait sometimes, I will continue to wear a smile and rejoice always because the Lord always knows best. :)



Tip for the day: whenever you feel down, think of something you are thankful for and be happy!

4 comments:

Alexis said...

I totally relate to this Jenn! I love the pictures you posted in this too! :)

Jared Withrow said...

Hey Jenn! I'm sure you have no idea who I am... but I was really blessed by this! God loves to work into us the things that bring our character into the likeness of Jesus and patience sure is one of them. I was reading in your second paragraph where you said,

"...I was convicted to have more patience while driving on the road."

...and I was totally reminded of a time when I was driving and learned about patience like you. Its a really precious memory to me. I was talking to God on the way home from a trip to California, and I was telling him about how excited I was to serve Him with my life. He responded by saying "Jared how fast are you going?" I looked at my speedometer and noticed i was going 7 miles over the speed limit on i5. I responded and asked him if He was bothered by my going too fast. He didn't reply but I had a feeling that he would soon. About 5 minutes later we were in a construction zone and traffic had slowed down to 10 miles an hour. I realized then that my speeding had not helped me get anywhere any faster and then I heard God say to me: "Jared, you can only go as fast as I am going." I was like woaah and was really hit with the importance of waiting on him and being patient. Being patient and faithful with the things we've been given for but a time is of huge importance in His kingdom :)

Sorry that was a lot but I just got so excited.

Hi by the way... :) haha.. I don't think I ever met you much except on the boat while wakeboarding... See ya at real life

I'm Jenn said...

Wow Jared! That is so cool! It's so amazing to see how God teaches people through different ways so that we will learn what He wants to show us. Thank you for blessing me with your story, that's so amazing!

And yeah I don't think we got to talk much, but yes I hope to see you at real life! :)

Alexis, thank you so much girl! :)

Evangeline. said...

I love this Jenn! It's so hard sometimes to be patient but God really desires it in us. And I think that we can be really blessed through instances where we choose to be patient in situations where it's easier to not be.

I loved all your pictures. I am excited for yogurt tomorrow...AND I LOVE YOU!